Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Bush, The Last Hawk, Won't Budge

According to Rich Lowry's commentary, President Bush is the only "hawk"willing to continue to push forward with the war in Iraq. This demonstrates to me President Bush's willingness to persevere, to not go willy-nilly like so many in Congress have done. I respect him more for not taking the easy political way out and backing down. Certainly, if he was to do so...if he was to set a withdrawl date and if he started backing out of the promises made to the Iraqi government and the Iraqi people...MANY, sadly, here in the US would approve and his currently "dismal" ratings would go up.

But...that's not why I voted for President Bush. I voted for him because I felt he would be a man of integrity and honesty. That he would care more about doing what is right, than what will make him "popular".

I distinctly remember President Bush's address to the nation immediately after 9/11 in which he stated: "Our war on terror begins with al Qaeda, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated"

And further in the speech he stated: "Our response involves far more than instant retaliation and isolated strikes. Americans should not expect one battle, but a lengthy campaign, unlike any other we have ever seen. It may include dramatic strikes, visible on TV, and covert operations, secret even in success. We will starve terrorists of funding, turn them one against another, drive them from place to place, until there is no refuge or no rest. And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. (Applause.) From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime."

And still further: "I will not forget this wound to our country or those who inflicted it. I will not yield; I will not rest; I will not relent in waging this struggle for freedom and security for the American people."

In the days immediately following 9/11, I placed my confidence in this President and still today I find that he continues to have it. I trust fully that he will continue to fight this war until we all can be certain that we and our future generations will be safe from malicious and evil attacks such as those that took place in New York, Pennsylvania and at the Pentagon on that fateful day.

Its incredibly dismaying, however, that so many in Congress, both Republicans and Democrats, seem to have forgotten all that was said and promised in the days after 9/11. They are so willing to allow another strike upon our nation, simply so they will have "good approval ratings"...frankly, it disgusts me and I have zero faith in all BUT, President Bush!

By standing his ground and not giving in, by continuing to support the surge in Iraq and continue the fight in the war on terror, he is proving that I did vote correctly in 2000 and 2004 and that he is indeed a man of conviction and courage. Too bad we can't say the same for the rest in Washington!

No comments:

Blog Archive

BTTS - Where Personal Responsibilty is the EXPECTED NORM!